The holidays are the perfect time to check in with the older adults in your life, to make sure that they are thriving in their living situation.
Signs that an older adult may need assistance:
· They have lost weight, indicating they aren’t eating well or are having health issues.
· They seem like they haven't bathed, or washed their closthes.
· They seem depressed.
· Their home is not clean and is disorganized. This could be a health AND safety hazard.
· Their pets are having accidents in their home.
· They are exhausted from caring for a loved one at home.
There are options for in-home non-medical help to come in and do light housekeeping, laundry, cooking, bathing, companionship, and transportation. Having someone come in a few hours a week could dramatically change the quality of life an older adult has. For someone who is caring for an older adult, having non-medical in-home care come in, can give them a chance to go out and do something for themselves, giving them a much needed break.
If you feel like the older adult in your life could use some assistance, reach out to a local resource to find out what options exist. Helping older adults thrive (not just survive) in their living situation is one of the greatest gifts you could possibly give them this holiday season.