By Danita Nixon, Senior Living Advisors of Colorado
There comes a time in many older adults’ lives, when they realize that their current living situation no longer serves them. They find that:
• They want to be free of the burden of maintaining their current home (yardwork, shoveling snow, routine maintenance, etc.) so they can spend their time on activities they enjoy.
• Their home no longer accommodates their physical needs (steps, a bathtub and not a walk-in shower, etc.). Senior communities are built to accommodate the physical needs of older adults.
• They want to be more active and spend time with others their age. For some, being home alone leaves them feeling lonely and isolated. Rightsizing into senior living with all the activities available can make a huge difference in the quality of life for an older adult.
The best time for an older adult to rightsize into senior living, is when they are healthy enough to do so. Making this decision earlier rather than later gives them more control, more choices, and more time to make the transition.
Five Steps to Exploring if Rightsizing is right for you:
1. Contact a local advisor to help you explore your options. Most Senior Living Advisors offer their services free of charge.
2. Your advisor will help you determine your options based on your needs, desires, and budget.
3. Go with your advisor to check out the communities to see what they offer.
4. Determine if you are ready to rightsize into senior living.
5. If you are ready, your advisor will help you take the steps necessary to put the resources in place to make the move possible. If you are not ready, you at least know what options are out there for you.
While rightsizing into senior living can be a big move for an older adult, it can also be a move that will assist them in going from surviving to thriving!